Thursday, July 05, 2012

Graphic Novel Review: Sinbad - Rogue Of Mars

I love the old Ray Harryhausen Sinbad films, and I like the books of John Carter, and to me, Sinbad: Rogue Of Mars is the perfect combination.

Soon to be a motion picture, says the blurb on the back, as Morningside Entertainment has bought the movie rights, and the graphic novel does come across as very cinematic, well at least part of it. I'm not really a fan of changing artists in the middle of a graphic novel / story arc, but half way through chapter four it starts off with a different artist, Kiatisak Piewkao, but then switches back to the artist of the first three chapters, Jeffrey 'Chamba' Cruz.

I liked the story, we don't see how Sinbad got to Mars - but we join him imprisoned like a gladiator and being forced to fight. But he escapes with a fellow gladiator, Kar-tyr and joins up with Qani, in a quest to overthrow the villanous Akhdar, head of the Dozhakian throne and free the enslaved Azurian people of Mars. But we never find out if they do or not. Bluewater Productions has only collected 4 out of the 5 comic books in the series. Which is a shame, as after reading this graphic novel I want to know how it ends, but we are left with a 'to be continued'. I really hope we find out how the story ends as I really like this book.

***1/2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment