Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Movie Review: Marvel's The Avengers (2012) [Bluray]

When an unexpected enemy emerges that threatens global safety and security, Nick Fury, Director of the international peacekeeping agency known as S.H.I.E.L.D., finds himself in need of a team to pull the world back from the brink of disaster. Spanning the globe, a daring recruitment effort begins.

I think I must have been one of the few people to NOT catch this at the cinema when it was released earlier in the year, but all good things come to those who wait, so they say, and I've now got a nice shiny bluray to watch.

I must admit that I'm not that much of a fan of Marvel superhero comics and the movie spinoffs, and The Avengers does have that comic book feel to it. Quite different in tone to that other big superhero film, The Dark Knight Rises, but I thought it was much better than I expected and really enjoyed it.

It looks like Marvel releasing the Iron Man, Captain America and Thor movies previously worked, as it removed the need to introduce each of the heroes and just get straight to the action. And lots of action there is too, right from the off! It doesn't really slow down much throughout, especially when 'the other guy' goes green!

I was also really loving the soundtrack from Alan Silvestri, very rousing and fit the film perfectly for me. Thought it was up there with his Back To Future scores.

All in all, this is very much a fun-filled action packed superhero film that definitely pays tribute to previous superhero films and to comic books. As with Marvel films these days, don't forget to watch until the end of the closing credits.

Bluray Extras:
The picture quality and sound are superb, as I would expect from bluray, so no complaints there at all. As I was watching the UK bluray disc, we get deleted scenes, a gag reel, A Visual Journey featurette and the enjoyable Marvel Short film 'Item 47'. Barebones compared to the in depth US release.

If you enjoyed this at the cinemas, then go get it, as it looks and sounds superb on a big TV. If you want a fun filled action film, go get this as well.

**** out of 5

1 comment:

  1. Awesome review. I believe I’m one of the only people who didn’t see The Avengers in theaters, but I loved comics as a kid, so I’m definitely curious about the film. Some coworkers of mine from DISH have said that this is exactly the type of movie a comic book lover like me should see. I’m excited to check it out, but I’m not one to purchase up front because I like to know what I’m getting, so to save money I started renting from Blockbuster @Home. If I like the Blu-ray, which I probably will, I’ll buy it, besides the costumes are great!

    ReplyDelete